HP3000-L Archives

August 2004, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:28:07 -0700
Re:
> I was wondering if it is all possible to install the old SCSI drives
> from my HP 3000 in a PC.  If it's possible, what SCSI card(s) and cables
> would be necessary?  This would be for the purpose of completely
> scrubbing the drives to DoD 5220-22.M specifications, on the cheap.
>
> What kind of drives are they?  Not sure.  I'm not a hardware person, at
> least w.r.t. the 3000.  DSTAT reports the following drives:  ST15150N,
> C2490AM, C3010M1, ST34573WD, ST34371W.

You've got two different kinds of drives: single-ended narrow SCSI
(e.g., the ST15150N drive), and wide-differential SCSI (e.g., the ST34573WD).

I haven't checked typical PC SCSI adapters recently, but my recollection
is that most adapeters support only one or the other kind of drive (although
you might be able to by an external adapter to convert one kind of drive
to the other).

However, my overall PC SCSI experience is that it's harder for users
to get SCSI disks attached/usable on a PC than on an HP 3000 or HP 9000.

Still, it should be possible to do, albeit with a lot more work than doing
it in place on your 3000.

If you'd prefer to do it on the 3000 (or a 9000), you might want to
<plug>
check out our WipeDisk product, which erases disks (SCSI or HP-IB or FC)
on HP 3000s (MPE/iX or MPE V) and HP 9000s (HP-UX).
It's inexpensive (well less than a grand!), and can erase quickly (a single
pass) or with a 4-pass "high security" style of erasure.

http://www.allegro.com/products/hp3000/wipedisk.html   for HP 3000

http://www.allegro.com/products/hp9000/wipedisk.html   for HP 9000
</plug>

--