HP3000-L Archives

August 2004, Week 2

From:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 17:32:22 -0400
I recall a recent post regarding SAFE / 3000, which Allegro now maintains,
IIRC. I think it does 'bypass' MPE security, but I'm not sure about that.
Now, all other things being equal, one has to log on for a system UDC to
run. So, one has to use MPE security first.

As for auditors, they certainly can be interesting. It is not unheard of to
have to make one's case, and convince them of what is true, thereby
disabusing them of their own ignorances. At the other extreme, years ago, a
list member posted an anecdote about "ethically hacking" a system that had
just passed an audit.

As for the COBOL program, how do you protect the source code? It would have
to be a rather sophisticated form of encryption that is not made vulnerable
by having the encryption / decryption source code.

Greg Stigers, MCSA
this space for rent