HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:17:04 -0800
"Bartram, Chris" wrote:

> As one of  the authors of just such an email system
> (ESMTP/MIME/POP2/POP3/FINGER/EUDORA-PASS/etc - aka NetMail/3000) that runs
> on the 3000 *and* uses an Image database to store email I can agree
> firsthand with the reliability and performance.. though I might be a bit
> biased. ;-)

oh <blush>  i'm sorry chris.  i completely forgot about netmail.  my apologies.

> As for releasing OpenDesk to open source; dunno about that. The user
> interface is pretty dated now, and the GUI was written in one of those odd
> pascal variants... and even some of the HP engineers that looked at it
> didn't want to inflict it on anyone. :-) Still, it doesn't hurt to ask! I
> know there are quite a few quirks in OpenDesk I'd like to see fixed...

the interface to desk 'suckethed mightily' (imo).  for it's day, it was pretty
cool though.  however, the hpdesk database was a wonderfully designed thing and
the s/w that managed the whole thing was rock-solid.  fix desk to use
internet-style addressing (including node names) and figure out how to get an
free email client to talk to it and viola.

> As for LDAP... we'll see. Still working on some other surprises...

cool :-)             - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer

"Unix _is_ user friendly.
It's just very selective about who its friends are.
And sometimes even best friends have fights."