HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Lane Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lane Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:07:25 -0800
on 3/23/01 12:47 PM, Bartram, Chris at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Ahem. ;-)
>
> As one of  the authors of just such an email system
> (ESMTP/MIME/POP2/POP3/FINGER/EUDORA-PASS/etc - aka NetMail/3000) that runs
> on the 3000 *and* uses an Image database to store email I can agree
> firsthand with the reliability and performance.. though I might be a bit
> biased. ;-)

While the product works it just doesn't seem like a good fit on the 3000. We
tend to send a lot of graphic files, it could be an add layout or packaging
design. The combination of Image and the network I/O would bring our old 967
to it's knees. It was kind of a double whammy the network I/O would use a
lot of resources and then deleting of a multi megabyte file out of the
database was a killer. We ended moving to EIMS from Qualcomm... It was a
mere $400 and ran happily on an old Mac. The reliability has been on par
with the 3k. I did end up having to piece together a cheesy pop mail client
so that some of our terminal users could get and send basic text e-mail.

-Lane

PS. EIMS also runs the e-mail at ADAGER