HP3000-L Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Chris Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:17:37 -0600
Now that Mark Bixby has generously ported PostgreSQL to MPE, what are the
chances of being able to obtain support for this - preferably from HP, but
if not from elsewhere.

I mentioned to my manager that PostgreSQL had been ported to MPE and he said
that it wasn't worth considering using it unless there was support
available.

As to why I was interested in the possibility of PostgreSQL:

We are primarily an MPE-shop and nearly all our data is in Image databases.
We have written a variety of interfaces to access this data, including
client-server and web interfaces.

We are considering developing an application which would involve handling
large amounts of free-format text, as well as fixed format data.  We are
entirely happy holding the fixed format data in Image, but much less happy
about holding the free-format text there.

We would need to be able to classify parts of that text.  For example a user
might want to prepare a document which outlined course structure, with
information about various aspects of course structure. The contents of this
document would need to be stored in such a way that other applications could
retrieve and use either the whole document, or just parts of it.  We would
expect to develop a classification system for structuring the parts of the
document.

XML would seem to be a good way of structuring this data.  I've read a
little about XML but haven't used it yet.  But how could you store XML, in
particular, 'PCDATA' (free format text in this case), on an HP 3000?  I
understand that it is possible to do this in RDBMS, but I can't see how
Image, with fixed data item lengths, could be used to do this.

If anyone can suggest a way of handling structured text in Image like this,
I'd be very pleased to hear.

Chris Dunlop.

--
Chris Dunlop