HP3000-L Archives

November 1998, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 11:05:56 EST
Gary Jackson writes:

> The problem is that when they try to get to our HP3000, as soon
>  as they get to our block mode menu, the screen locks up.
>  Sometimes I can get to the second menu, but it usually locks up
>  right away.  In character mode I don't seem to have a problem other
>  than sporadic response.
>
>  Does anyone have a suggestion as to what/where to check for a
>  change to settings?

Gary,

The most likely problem is that your network is -- without asking, and at no
additional charge -- dropping DC1/DC3 characters. The HP3000 of course uses
DC1's as its host prompt, and Reflection is sitting there waiting for a DC1
before it will begin its block transfer.

A workaround to allow block transfers (and the function keys in general) is to
uncheck the box marked "Use Host Prompt" in the Advanced section of the
Terminal... Setup menu. However, this is a miserable solution that will only
grow worse with time. No modern LAN should be intercepting or modifying any
part of the data stream. Because the DC1 is a critical part of the HP3000, you
will run into this problem again (if what I've said here is true).

A far better solution is to find the device that is killing the DC1's and
upgrade or replace it.

Wirt Atmar