HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 1

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 15:43:31 +0200
At 00:55 03.09.98 -0400, Jeff wrote:
>>  sysgen> ta [log in to unmask]@.@;directory
>>                         ^
>> This is not a valid option for this command. (parserr 06)

Various replies re using indirect files have already been sent.

Ken asked re MODE=VERBOSE and my personal vote is that it does
not put more or less on the SLT part of the media, it just tells
which files are written (like STORE;SHOW).

>Another minor nit, if you're doing a Powerpatch plus Add-on Subsys
>option in Patch/iX, bear in mind that any patches to your Add-on
>products that might be on the tape won't qualify

As far as I understand, AUTOINST and PATCHIX should be able to pick
patches for the "upcoming subsys products" properly. I think I have
also seen cases were it failed (don't recall details but probably
the PRODLIST file and/or FILEINFO files were missing or damaged)...

>And be sure to restore [log in to unmask] from any powerpatch tape before
>doing patchix.  (or auto@ if doing autoinst).  Little things that go
>bump in the night.

Don't know if this needs a <nit-pick> markup, but as far as I recall,
the installation instructions advise something similar to

  restore *t;[log in to unmask];dev=1;show  for Patch/iX usage

  restore *t;A@,F@;dev=1;show  for AutoInst usage (chgroup install)

the latter being important as AUTO@ will definitely not catch all
important files, eg FILEINFO and derivatives which contain info on
patches, predecessor patches, checksums, associates subsys etc.

Hope this helps.

Lars (as usual only speaking for lappel and no manuals at home ;-)