HP3000-L Archives

September 1998, Week 1

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 11:46:38 +0200
Fellow and potential Samba-ites,

if you don't like to use (or struggle with) Posix Shell and related utils
to create the initial Samba config files (smb.conf and alike) in the HFS
namespace (and as a bytestream file, to stay on the safe side)...

The bbSAT utility distribution on Jazz contains a little MPE command file
that prompts for your HP 3000 IP address and subnet mask and creates the
initial config files based on the supplied sample files by inserting the
IP and subnet info in the appropriate place.

With this type of initial config it should when be possible to edit the
smb.conf file from a PC (using PFE or another editor that can handle DOS
and Unix/Posix text files ie CR FL versus LF only) -- or use the bbSAT
GUI tool, of course.

I use(d) to map a drive to the share \\my3000\mgr.samba to get access
to the home directory of MGR.SAMBA (which is the MPE home group PUB.SAMBA
or /SAMBA/PUB to say it in HFS terms) and the subdirectories below that,
and then edit X:\lib\smb.conf as needed...

As I said, the small command file is part of the bbSAT download. Would
it make sense to also make it available separately or is everybody using
the bbSAT GUI nowadays?

Lars "iX" Appel

(the pizza for bbSAT belongs to Felix Burger and Frank Gruener, not me ;-)