HP3000-L Archives

March 1998, Week 2

From:
Ben Bruno <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Bruno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 17:35:11 -0500
On March 5, Kevin L. Newman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Good listeners,
>
> I'm looking for fax software that runs on the HP3000 and DOESN'T use an
> external fax server.  We are currently using FAX/3000 and now they want
> me upgrade my fax server for the THIRD time, since I bought it.  I'm
> starting to get tired of buying server after server.  I guess I'll have
> shell out another chunk of cash, but I thought that I would use this
broad
> base of knowledge to see IF there was a host only based fax software
package.

Permit me to comment on Mr. Newman's letter above.  First a little bit of
history.

Aug 1990:  BP Oil purchases FAX/3000 solution from STR Software Company
Dec 1993:  Tosco Oil purchases BP Oil including its FAX/3000 asset
Nov 1994:  Tosco Oil purchases fax server upgrade to replace 1990 hardware

FAX/3000 combines HP3000 based software with an external fax server.  Our
fax servers have evolved from single line fax modems and single line fax
servers to multi-line, multi-host fax servers.  Since we cannot place
hardware in the HP3000 CPU itself (or its I/O bay, DTC, etc.), our approach
has been to connect an external fax server using a serial or network
connection.

As you all know, computer equipment has a (limited) lifespan.  Fortunately,
we HP3000 people are blessed with a wonderful vendor in Hewlett-Packard who
gives advance notice of obsolescence on their (HP3000) computers!  Can PCs,
modems, routers, etc. make that claim?  Not very easily.  For example,
products that I could purchase just three months ago have changed in cost,
performance, and availability.  Will it still work?  Probably.  Can I risk
it when it does not?  Maybe not.

Since our fax servers are Intel-based chassis running either UNIX or NT
operating systems, we have trouble in supporting this equipment as time
goes on.  Parts are simply not available.  Parts are oftentimes not easily
interchangable.  For this reason, we simply cannot offer support on
specific models as they age.  (Just like HP cannot on the Series II, III,
3x, 4x, etc.)  This DOESN'T mean that the equipment will not continue to
work.  It simply means that we cannot repair it.  You may continue to use
it, but at your own risk when it fails.

For Tosco Oil (and previously BP Oil), the original purchase was a
single-line fax server in August 1990.  This unit became unsupported in
1994 after a five year life span.  BP Oil then replaced this with a new fax
server in November 1994.  Earlier this year, we announced that this model
would be unsupported starting January 1, 1999.  Again this DOESN'T mean
that the equipment will not continue to work.  In fact, we recently
provided a software upgrade version making it Year 2000 compliant.
Furthermore, our company has offered promotions during both of these
upgrade periods with price incentives to replace the (older) system.

I can assure you that STR Software Company has done everything possible to
support the equipment at Tosco Oil Company to the best of our ability.
While I understand the frustration of have to upgrade or go unsupported,
ever-changing technology makes it our only option.  Perhaps solace can be
found in the fact that Tosco's FAX/3000 system has saved Tosco a tremendous
amount of money, and has paid for itself numerous times over.

Ben

Ben Bruno * STR SOFTWARE COMPANY * President

11505 Allecingie Parkway * Richmond, Virginia  23235
P: 804.897.1600, x100 * F: 804.897.1638
E: [log in to unmask]

Come visit us on the World Wide Web: http://www.strsoftware.com