HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:11:01 -0700
I don't feel you need to apologize for your posting, even though I disagree
with some of it.  Lively debate is, I believe, a good thing, and I am sure
Shawn appreciated your coming to his defense.  I believe Shawn's
posting about the time line of events put the ethical questions to rest, but I
don't think it was inappropriate to raise the issues publicly.  Ethics is a
complicated and tricky subject, and public discussion serves to educate,
promote awareness, and provoke thought.  I think we all learned some
things about proper disclosure as well as the danger of jumping to
conclusions.  Fortunately, most of the postings didn't draw conclusions,
but merely raised questions.

>>> Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]> 02/27/98 04:46pm >>>
Yesterday I ranted ... today I reflect ... what I perceived as a personal
attack upon Shawn Gordon may have been an overreaction to some
posts
containing words that triggered my response.  I saved none of those
messages, so I can't state with finality what those triggers were;
however, I do regret any further ill will my post might have created.  I do
strongly feel that if anyone felt slighted or deceived by Shawn's message
re: his new product, they should have taken it up with him, first, rather
than air it publicly right off the bat.  Perhaps that was done, and I
overstepped my bounds, and I apologize for that.

Lee (laying low in the weeds for awhile and hungry for sushi) Gunter