HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 4

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 13:28:19 EST
On Tue, 25 Mar 1997 18:15:25 +0100, Andreas Schmidt
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

<Great database recovery story snipped>

>Key Learnings:
>* ADAGER may be a small Company but very capable and helpful (we are not
>a customer of ADAGER ... yet).

Well, I am (and have been) a satisfied customer of Adager for some
time (no <plug/> necessary as I have no financial interest in Adager,
except when it helps me keep my job).  Besides having a top-of-the-line
product, *and* being one of the all-time HP3K boosters, they have
provided exceptional support, even when the problem has nothing whatever
to do with their product, as in your case, and mine.

In my case, we had (still have) an old application that uses the old
"chunk" method of database description (you know, fields are described as
PART-MAST-1 X256 and in actuality contain 30 fields of varying lengths).
We wanted to convert it to discrete fields and, having Adager, I wondered
if I could use it in some way to assist me.  Well, a call to Adager support
resulted in a two page fax from one Patrick Mullen (I don't know if he's
still at Adager or not) detailing how to define the discrete fields and
convert the database without an unload/reload (using a combination of
Adager, MPE/iX, and MPEX from Vesoft), all quite slick and neat.

I was a fan of Adager before then, but this episode solidified my opinion
of Adager as a top-rate company.  Glad to see you have had a similar
experience.

DISCLAIMER:  This was in no way meant to detract from other data base
tool companies (you know who you are!) who also provide excellent
products and support.  Just my story.  YMMV.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231