HP3000-L Archives

June 1996, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 15:25:56 -0700
Item Subject: Short/long pointer nightmares
Dan asks:
>I'm having considerable difficulty trying to use short/long pointers in
>Pascal/Xl. The new/dispose functions don't want to take a long pointer as
>a parameter. Is there any way to new/dispose a long pointer?

The new and dispose only operate on the heap, which is in your process's
stack "space" and always short pointer addressable, so I wouldn't be
surprised to find that there's no way to use long pointers in a new or
dispose operation.

You can convert back and forth between short and long pointers (with
restrictions) so you may be able to get away with converting the
short pointer from new into a long pointer, and later converting it
back to a short pointer for the dispose.

Why do you need a long pointer?

G.