HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 22:51:10 -0500
Gawd,

I love this one!!!

In a message dated 96-02-20 19:53:48 EST, [log in to unmask] (Eric J
Schubert) writes:

>>I believe that you are navigating under a misapprehension.  The reason for
>>wanting IMAGE on the 9000 is manifold:
>>
>>1- There is no fast, easy to use DBMS on the HP9000.
>
>Really? We had Sybase and Oracle presentations here recently.  Looked pretty
>easy to me.  Sorry to disagree.

No need to be sorry, disagree to your heart's content.  Tell me again some
day.   And I forgot, ALLBASE doesn't do 10.x yet.

>> If these DBs were anywhere near as pervasive on UNIX as IMAGE is on the
>>HP3000, ORACLE would be the biggest company on Earth ...
>
>May still get that wish because it claims to work with just about anything.
>:-)

They have been saying that for ever, maybe longer.

>>2- I have discovered a long time ago, that UNIX users tout the *openess* of
>>UNIX, but then happily roll their own database structure, so to speak.
>
>Yah.  Like a collection of indexed files.  We have IBM library system using
>VSAM.  Almost the same thing but not unix.  What I mean that this is not
>just a Unix thing.  It's a cost thing.  When you "give" IMAGE away with the
>OS, it is the same motivation - cost and availability.  Image has evolved
>into a pretty nice "free" DBMS.   No wonder vendors love it!

Yup! But I always thought that one bought IMAGE and HP just gave the OS with
it.  Are you saying that it's the other way around?

>>is NO DBMS standard on UNIX systems, 'cause they don't use any DBs,
>
>I'm not sure about that - also see point one.

I am. I talk to UNIX users all day long.  We sell a superfast backup for UNIX
and NT which also connects to RDBMS', so I know.

> 'cause
>>see 1 above.
>>

>>3- It would simplify greatly the DBA duties at shops where there are
HP3000s
>>and HP9000s.  Think of it, only one fast, reliable, efficient, easy to use
>>DBMS to learn and support.  Heaven!
>>

>Ok, I agree time.

Fine.   :-)

>>There is a kernel (pun fully intended) of truth in what you say, it would
>>simplify the migration of HP3000 to HP9000, but I submit to you all that it
>>would be a small number.  In light of the increased benefits to
MPE/iX-HP-UX
>>shops, the migration issue is infinitesimal. Background noise.
>>
>>So there!
>>
>>Kind regards,
>>
>>Denys. . .
>>

>You are are a trooper, for sure Denys.  Can Hi Comp put up a WWW .wav file
>that pronounces your last name :-)

I had not thought of that.  I have no problem pronnouncing my last name, why
should I think anyone else would have problems ? :-)

It's pronounced in three syllables, thus:   Beau like Bo Derek;  che almost
like Che'vrolet; the last one is a toughy because there is no English
equivalent: min like main but without the long n at the end, it's a very
short sound.

I'll think about putting in a wav file at the web page.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .