HP3000-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 21:07:39 -0500
Jeff Kell wrote:

> While daydreaming ....  Perhaps we should
> look at "why do you not want it on a 9000" ?
>
> Is there a System Improvement Committee list of enhancements for HP-UX?
> Is there a list of things 9000 owners don't like about their system?
> Is there a wish list of things 9000 owners would like to have on their system?
>
> I wonder how many of those "wishes" are realities on the 3000 "now" ?
>
> Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

As I use "slightly" matured 9000's and 3000's I can think of many reasons why I would't
want my stuff on a 9000:

1.      Not all the software makes the port from one OS release to another.  Imagine the
typical reaction of a 3000 sys manager who learns that MPE/iX 5.5 is out but ALLBASE or
IMAGE isn't on the push release.  You'll have to wait... and wait...  (ALLBASE hasn't
made it from HP-UX 9.04 to 10.01 and I haven't read anything about it being on 10.10
either.

2.      HP has a rather indifferent attitude to hardware/software support for the 9000
family, including the 800 series servers.  For example, my 842 is not supported on the
10.01 release, neither are the 8x2 and 8x0 machines.  How many HP3000/950 users would
tolerate finding out that MPE/iX 5.5 isn't supported on their box.  You want new
functionality, buy yourself a new machine, but please make it another HP???? Yeah! Right!

3.      How about finding out that after a certain release (HP-UX 10.01), only one form
of media for FOS distribution will be available.  That will be CD-ROM.  Too bad about
your DDS TD's,  we just can't be bothered with the expense and aggravation of cutting
those tapes.  Can't get a bootable CD-ROM for your system? Too BAD!@  But please think of
HP when you decide to upgrade through one of our valued channel partners (or why upgrade
your operating system, I mean DOS 3.0 works just fine).  After all, if we don't do at
least $5,000,000.00 USD with you per year, YOU JUST AREN'T WORTH TALKING TO!

If I was a system manager, and I am, and if I had any influence with my company's senior
management, and I do, the last thing that I would put my company's data on would be a
HP-UX box.  HELL, I wouldn't even do it as the last thing, I'd get a job digging ditches.

I have my own opinions about where HP is headed and why, and I won't bore you with them
here.  I will make one observation though, HP was a different place when it was run by
the owners instead of for the shareholders.  I am rapidily becoming openly contemptuous
of HP's patent attempts to grub for money at the expense of their clients on the UX side
of the house and I see signs that the malaise is trying to cross over in the 3k side.
--
James B. Byrne                 mailto:[log in to unmask]
Harte & Lyne Limited           http://www.harte-lyne.ca