HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 2

From:
Gary Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 16:15:52 -0800
As an HPDESK site that has just about finished the migration from HPDESK to
a LAN based email system, and as a person who is EXTREMELY happy about it,
I'm afraid I won't be able to contribute to your list of "1000 reasons not
to dump HPDESK".  I'm only responding to let you know that there really is
life after HPDESK.  Not only that, its a much better life :)  I wouldn't go
back for anything!

Gary

>>> Phil ESGUERRA <[log in to unmask]> 09/12/95 07:41am >>>
Hello to all HP3000 (and HPDESK) defenders!

I am getting bombarded with requests about replacing our HP3000-based
HPDESK with a lan-based E-mail system.

We've been using HPDESK for about 10 years, and I enjoy its reliability,
ease of management, and dependability. From the administration point of
view, its a real gem.

The biggest complaint from some of our users is the cost of connecting to
the HP3000 to run HPDESK. The approx. $100+ cost per copy of Reflection is
cited as the biggest factor.

Does anyone have access to a HPDESK vs. lan-based E-mail system comparison?

I have heard of one company during the SIG-Email at Toronto that moved to a
lan-based system and later regretted it. (I wished I took that person's name
and address).

I guess, what I am looking for is something that can be called
"1000 Reasons Why You Should Not Dump Your HPDESK for a Lan-based E-mail
System"

Has anybody else been faced with this request to dump Hpdesk, and how did it
go? (Or am I one of the last administrators to be converted to a lan-based
e-mail system?)

Your 10 or more "Reasons" wil be greatly appreciated.