HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 2

From:
Joe Cygan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 21:54:46 GMT
Stan Sieler ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: I was planning to stay out of the Win95 thread, but have to comment
: on one posting...

me too, but...

: Jerry writes:
: > billions of $'s can not be wrong, the world is not that stupid.

: What the @#$%^ have you been smoking?  :)  <.......etc>
: is that stupid.

: Far too many people equate market dominance with technical superiority.
: It doesn't mean that!  It means precisely one thing: more was sold of that
: product than any other.  Period.  No motivations, no reasons, no excuses,
: no implications ... merely one single fact.

Just because something may be of a higher techno evolution doesn't mean its
better either.
With the exception of the glass bottle example, the computer examples are self
evident.
Amiga and Mac didn't sell as big because to buy into them meant being trapped.
They
were one pony shows.  Intel, Microsoft, and IBM opened up the PC and now you
have the perfect
example of OPEN COMPUTING.  Thats right, flame away, the PC has shown to be the
pinnacle of
opennes.  Unix doesn't come close.  Now, ask me if I care that much for Unix.
:->

Joe