HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 2

From:
Steve Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 00:05:02 -0400
In a message dated 95-09-08 06:34:48 EDT, [log in to unmask] (CLINTON
SCHWARTZ) writes:

>Does anyone have any numbers comparing the read and write rates of DAT tape
>drives versus the Reel to Reel tape technology.  We have reel to reel tapes
>and would like to see if upgrading to DAT's would be worth it.  Thanks!

The type of Reel-to-Reel units will make a difference.  In testing we
performed comparing a number of backup technologies using
TurboSTORE on a dedicated HP30000 Series 960 we found:

HP DAT tape units were averaging storage rates of 300-350kbs.

HP7980XC tape units were averaging storage rates of 600-650kbs.

This was based on multi-reel stores of copies of true production data.
The 7980XC store rate was unaffected by enabling or disabling the
internal hardware compression.  The DAT drives used did not have
hardware compression.  Time to change reels was not included in
the transfer rate calculations and the SCSI vs HP-IB interface did
not affect the transfer rates of the DAT drive.

Steve Cole
Outer Banks Solutions