HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 2

From:
Daniel Kosack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Kosack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 19:28:47 -0400
On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, George Stachnik wrote:

> On Tuesday, 9/19/95, HP will host the fifth in its highly successful series of
> "Technology Closeup" Broadcasts.  The topic of this broadcast is "Using MPE
> and UNIX Systems Together", and it will be of interest to any HP customer that
> is trying to run a datacenter that includes both HP 9000 and HP 3000

  Hold on here folks...  I know I should be a little more understanding
here, but even MPE/iX folks at HP bash HP UX products for their enormous
budget costs.  I believe the figure ended up being around $56,000 for a
64 license MPE box, and $57,000 for a 64 license HPUX box (prices
adjusted for some strange 'fairness' reasons).  This is all fine and grand
for those who can throw money at computers, and for those who have
strictly HP stuff.  However, I doubt that there are many out in real life
that have 100% HP everything in their office.  MPE/V boxes are all that I
have of HP in my high school, however, down at the IIS, they use UX and
MPE/iX boxes together, mainly because they can afford it.

  Basically, I guess what I'm asking is, is there support, FAQ's,
anything for those of us who would like a little interconnectivity, even
just to share data, between our UNIX PC's or low end Sun workstations,
our MPE systems, and WfW, or is HP only going to toot it's on horn in
proprietary compatibility?

  I'm sorry to say this, but I just don't see the use of spending
$10,000 in products for an obsolete system (MPE/V stuff) to make it
connect, however I'm not completely convinced that there are no other
alternatives, and I'm actively seeking them even if I have to develop
them myself.

Daniel Kosack -=Linux Man=-