HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 2

From:
Eric Schubert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Schubert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 14:28:30 -0400
>Jim Wowchuk at Thu, 7 Sep 1995 11:43:57 +1000 wrote:
>At 08:57 PM 6/9/95 GMT, Jim Royce wrote:
>>I found out from HP Response Center that DCE/3000 is a
>>separate product (not part of FOS) and available for MPE/iX
>>5.0.

<snip>

 Thanks Jim for the history.  Your comments about Thread complexity are from
a developers viewpoint?  I would guess many customers would buy products and
not worry about thread programming.  All they would see is the benefit of
threads.

 You mentioned RPC as synchronous. On the same machine?  I believe the DCE
strong point is that a client can make _asynchronous_ calls across a network
and problems can be solved in a parallel fashion when multiple CPU's are
configured.  The HP Demo at Interex claimed to be such an application.

 ** ? Comments from the HP DCE labs ? **

 Since I don't know any better, I'm assuming that is correct.  If you think
about that concept, say you put NAME & ADDRESS server on one CPU, INVENTORY
server on another CPU and ORDERS server on yet another CPU.  If your client
made calls to these 3 servers all at once, each server would work on parts
of the problem in parallel.  Unless data is queried from one server to query
another, it is async.

  Think about the component style way of building applications under the
DCE. Think about the ease of switching in a faster CPU on a specific server
area that needs more power (or changing platforms if a vendor goes under).
Better yet, simply replicate the server on two smaller, inexpensive CPU's.

  Do any DCE servers exist today between IMAGE and a client?  Or DCE/SQL to
IMAGE?  Maybe in a lab somewhere.  I haven't heard of any.  Anyone doing
work in that area?  This could very well be an academic discussion about the
DCE on a 3000.

Jim also said...

>Okay, so that briefly explains some of NCS, but what about DCE?
>Unfortunately, I don't know.  DCE is not yet released for the 3000, and...

Not speaking for HP, the DCE was released in April of '95 for the 3000 under
MPE 5.0.2.  DFS was not supported in the release.

The HP price guide mentioned that you can obtain NFS from Quest and setup
the NFS --> DFS translator for the 3000.  Probably need a 9000 to support
DFS and run the DCE tools, since the 3000 can't run them.

BTW, DFS has more features than NFS, it is a one way translator.

P.S.

 To be very formal, you must say or write "The DCE" in reference to it.
Why? I don't know.  One of those OSF things.

Eric J Schubert               Senior Data Base Analyst
Admin Information Services    Univ of Notre Dame, IN USA
(219) 631-7306                http://www.nd.edu/~eschuber