HP3000-L Archives

September 1995, Week 2

From:
John Joerger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Joerger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 16:45:12 -0700
On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Glenn Cole wrote:
> > (Can one do C/S computing on a Mac?)
>
> The package that springs to mind is JAM from JYACC (1-800-458-3313,
> [log in to unmask]), which (according to a MacWorld ad):
>
> "JAM allows you to build client/server applications on the Macintosh and
> deploy them on more than 100 platforms and operating environments including
> Macintosh, OS/2, Motif, Windows, DOS, VAX/VMS, and virtually every
> implementation of UNIX [which probably accounts for the other 94]."

We run many of Collier-Jackson's (now VishionShift) applications.  They
converted their scrren handling interfaces to JAM over the past few years.
It gave them a common interface for all applications.

One thing that has been noted by our users is that JAM is *much* slower
than VIEW.  User perception is a key metric.  In this case, the slow-down
of the online system is as big a negative as all the other enhancements
that were gained.

Regards,

--- John Joerger  ([log in to unmask])  ---  Press-Telegram (Long Beach)