HP3000-L Archives

August 2004, Week 2

From:
Glenn Paden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Paden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:45:01 -0700
Isn't that advertising (in practice)?

Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 9:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] OT : Another POLITICAL story (yet another...).

Glenn propagandizes:

>  It is essentially advertising. We very often use the word with the
>  additional meanings of dishonesty or disingenuousness. That's where the
fuss
>  comes from.

Actually, that's a much more neutral interpretation than the word deserves.

In the category of more crap than any sane person would want to know, the
word was introduced into the Western languages in 1623, by Pope Gregory XV,
when
he convened the "Congregatio de propaganda fide." The new word was meant to
literally imply "the propagation of the faith."

More modern meanings of the word however can be found in any dictionary.
Here's Merriam-Webster's:

     the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of
helping
or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

     ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause

or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect

Wirt Atmar