HP3000-L Archives

July 2004, Week 3

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:56:10 -0400
HP-3000 Systems Discussion wrote:
> Hoping one of you network gurus can help me.

Sorry, hardly a guru...

> We are trying to register a W2K PC to a domain on a company network over a
> dial up connection. Previously the network guy has only registered to a
> domain while attached direct to the network on-site. When we try to do it
> over dial up, we keep being told:
>
> "The specified domain either does not exist or can not be contacted."

One thing that has burned me in the past is when my home network is in the
same subnet as the one I'm dialing.  If I'm in the 192.168.1.xxx range at
home and the network I'm calling is also in 192.168.1.xxx range, I have had
trouble finding other nodes.  Try configuring the dial-up machine to use a
different range like 192.168.10.xxx.  I'm not sure if that's your problem,
but it is worth a try.

Mark W.