HP3000-L Archives

June 2004, Week 2

From:
John Bawden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Bawden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 08:44:11 -0700
Thanks to all who replied to my original question
about MTBF on the 4GB model A3647A disc drives. So
much for manufacturer's published figures. For those
of you who are still using these drives, can you
guestimate at the average longevity of these drives
based on your real world experience? I haven't had any
failures yet on my production system but I lose one
every 4-5 months on my older test and development
system (volume sets to the rescue)and the discs there
are at least 5-6 years old if not older. I expect I'm
rapidly approaching the average failure time on
production and am working on justification for model
20 arrays on my Amisys system. Any thoughts pro and
con? Thanks for any input.

John Bawden
QualChoice