HP3000-L Archives

June 2004, Week 2

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:01:17 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, michael b
<[log in to unmask]> writes
> Hi,
>
>I am currently running Windows XP Pro at home. I have connected the
>computer to a LAN. At the moment the computer can ping all the
>computers on the network and even connect to the internet. But when
>the other computers on the network trys and ping this computer in
>particular i get 'Request time Out'. The only difference i have
>noticed on this computer is that the system file on this computer is
>on D drive, so basically Windows is not setup on your default drive
>c:\. Also the network cards on the network is all 100/10MBps where as
>the computer that can not be pinged is 1GBps.
>
>If anyone can help  that would be much appreciated. Please email me or
>reply.

Are the other machines XP?

If not, I expect you've got the built-in XP firewall operative. That
will not respond to unexpected pings.

Help, firewall, yields:

To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall
Open Network Connections
Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want
to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this
connection.
On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of
the following:
To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my
computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer
from the Internet check box.
To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer
and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the
Internet check box.
  Notes

To open Network Connections, click Start, click Control Panel, and then
double-click Network Connections.
You must be logged on as a computer administrator to complete this
procedure.
If you clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or
preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box, the
firewall on your computer is disabled, and your network is vulnerable to
intrusions.
You should not enable Internet Connection Firewall on virtual private
networking (VPN) connections or on client computers because ICF will
interfere with file and printer sharing.
ICF cannot be enabled on the private connections of the Internet
Connection Sharing host computer.
Internet Connection Sharing, Internet Connection Firewall, Discovery and
Control, and Network Bridge are not available on Windows XP 64-Bit
Edition.

HTH

--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris