HP3000-L Archives

June 2004, Week 2

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:22:39 -0400
also interesting specially for all on the west-coast:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/14/news/midcaps/enron_tapes/index.htm?cnn=yes

Enron tapes show alleged manipulation

Utility says Enron manipulated the Western electricity market 88 percent of
days.
June 14, 2004: 3:38 PM EDT By CNNfn Correspondent Allan Chernoff

NEW YORK (CNNfn) - Previously unreleased audio tapes and accounting records
indicate that Enron manipulated the western electricity market 88 percent
of the days between Jan. 1, 2000, and June 20, 2001, according to the
Snohomish County Public Utility District in Washington state.

U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., and the Snohomish PUD said the tapes and
documents show Enron "illegally obtained at least $1.1 billion in profits
from western ratepayers."

One audio clip from Enron's West Coast trading desk recorded a trader
giving instructions on how to profit from artificially the power grid,
utility officials said.

"If the line's not congested then I look to see if I can congest it," the
unidentified Enron trader says on tape. "If you can congest it, that's a
money maker no matter what because you're not losing any money to move it
down the line. You're just making money."

Utilities repeatedly paid Enron to relieve congestion on the West Coast
electricity grid.

CNNfn also has obtained some of Enron's accounting records, some of which
refer to previously unreported market manipulation techniques
called "sidewinder," "Russian roulette," "ping pong" and "donkey punch."

Enron is seeking $122 million from Snohomish PUD in a lawsuit filed after
Snohomish terminated its power contract with Enron in November 2001.

"The lawsuit is a joke," said Al Aldrich, government affairs director for
Snohomish PUD. "They went into bankruptcy two days after we terminated the
contract so they couldn't have delivered on the contract anyway. It's
outrageous."

Snohomish PUD is seeking refunds from Enron on behalf of the utility's
customers.

New evidence is out that Enron traders manipulated the energy market to
their advantage. CNNfn has obtained financial documents referring to
previously unreported schemes.

Cantwell called on the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to investigate
and take action against Enron.

An Enron representative said the company had not yet heard the tapes and
thus had no comment.

Cantwell said she hand-delivered the documents and tapes to the Federal
Energy Regulatory Commission and called on it to investigate and take
action against Enron.

Kevin Kadden, FERC director of external affairs, said the commission is
investigating. "We just dont know whether this contains any new
information. I just handed it to the staff 18 minutes ago."