HP3000-L Archives

November 2002, Week 1

From:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:35:46 -0800
Wirt,

Okay.....I'll rephrase.  I agree with *almost* everything that David Vivino
said.

I believe that, in general, parents today, for whatever reasons, use the
television set as a babysitter more than their own parents did.

I also believe that the "quality" of that television is worse than it was 30
years ago, if for no other reason than when I was 8 there was no People's
Court or Jerry Springer for me to watch, even if my parents had allowed me
to spend the afternoon on the couch.  Had I watched such things as a child,
without supervision, I too may have come to believe that how those *guests*
behave is normal and acceptable.

And while I am not taking the time to find statistical publishings to back
this up, I also believe that American children today are less physically
fit, more obese, more prone to subsist on junk food (e.g. potato chips and
mountain dew), and less physically active, than their parents were at the
same age.

THAT is what I was agreeing with.

Rs~