HP3000-L Archives

July 2002, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:23:27 EDT
Greg writes:

> But no HPSUSAN to worry about; there's a paradigm shift.

There was no HPSUSAN number in the Classic HP3000s either. The HPSUSAN number
was put into the RISC-based MPE machines at the urging of the vendors in the
late 1970's/early 1980's in order to minimize piracy. Although it may seem
like a pain to the user, it's easy to argue that it's done its job well and
made the market much more stable for those vendors that chose to support the
HP3000.

Because all of the software that we're now developing will be from this point
on internet based, and because unique ID numbers do prevent piracy, we're
building all of our software to register itself using the MAC number of the
NIC card in the PC, which is a very similar number to the HPSUSAN.

Wirt Atmar