HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 2

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:32:10 -0400
"Wayne R. Boyer" <[log in to unmask]> suggests:

> I'd say that something is very wrong with your electrical supply.  Way out
of
> spec voltage could have interesting effects in places besides your
computer
> room.  I'd suggest making a few phone calls to you company's electrician
and
> your local electrical utility.  This sounds like an ongoing problem not a
> once-in-a-great-while thing that UPS units are designed to handle.  You
may
> still need to buy a UPS/regulator device but no matter how good a unit you
> find, it will only correct the problem where it is installed and the root
> cause (bad equipment/setting at the utility?) is what really needs long
term
> attention.

Been there, done that! :-)

Our resident engineer says that we/he/they need to change the tap on our
substation transformer to reduce the primary voltage to less than 500 volts.
But, he isn't going to do this anytime soon.  In fact, I've been after him
for a year to do it and nothing has changed.

And, yes, we have all kinds of problems with other equipment (stuff like
synchronized drive motors and such), especially on holiday weekends when the
power grid seems to be exceptionally over-supplied.  But I really don't care
about that stuff, since someone else's sleep is interrupted for that. :-)

So, since I can't fix the problem, I have to at least fix *my* problem,
hence the need for a voltage regulator.

BTW, in response to an offline request, we are powering a single 918 with
some auxiliary equipment, but it is all protected by a 3.2KVA PowerTrust
UPS.  The voltage regulator we are looking at comes in a 3KVA and a 5KVA
model.  We are looking at the 5KVA model.

Jim Phillips                           Information Systems Manager
Email: [log in to unmask]     Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: 330-527-2124                         P. O. Box 285
Fax:   330-527-2123                           10513 Freedom Street
Web:   http://www.tolwire.com          Garrettsville, OH  44231

I WANT MY MPE!