HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 2

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:15:01 -0400
For the umpteenth time this year, I was awakened from a sound slumber to the
plaintive cries of "The computer is down!".  Upon arriving at work it is the
same, old story:  The UPS has kicked in and ran the battery dead, resulting
in a planned system abort.  This has been happening constantly since the
economy has faltered around here and our line voltage, which is supposed to
be a nominal 220 VAC, has been up to 290 VAC.  This is what kicks the UPS in
(and aren't I glad) resulting in the eventual system abort.

However, I am tired (literally and figuratively) of having my restful repose
interrupted by this easily solvable problem, so I am looking at voltage
regulators.  I'm looking at one from the TSI Power Corporation that will
maintain an output of 192-264 VAC given an input of 160-330 VAC.  After 330
VAC it will shut down, invoking the UPS.  Now these things are rather
pricey, around US$1300-1500, so I'm soliciting recommendations from this
esteemed list.  Any ideas?

Ah, what price sleep.....

Jim Phillips                           Information Systems Manager
Email: [log in to unmask]     Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: 330-527-2124                         P. O. Box 285
Fax:   330-527-2123                           10513 Freedom Street
Web:   http://www.tolwire.com          Garrettsville, OH  44231

I WANT MY MPE!