HP3000-L Archives

November 2001, Week 5

From:
Ric Merz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:04:35 -0800
There is a way to have your MPE and eat it too.

Write it from scratch!  Duplicate the functionally of the OS and all
commands.  Make it completely open and cross platform.  Go for it.  I'll
watch.  Lots of work, and since I have seen some of the FOS source code, I
don't qualify.

Precedent:  The IBM BIOS wars for the PC.  They were able to sell their own
BIOS (was it AMI) because the new BIOS was written from scratch by
person(s) having NO knowledge of the IBM BIOS source code.  Therefore it
was an original work.

Yes, this is a dumb idea.  But people smarter than I, take dumb ideas and
somehow make a brilliant ones.  Good luck whoever you are.

Ric