HP3000-L Archives

June 2001, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:25:09 -0400
Kim Williams wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anybody know how much energy a 2680A printer draws?  (Yes, we are still using one.)  Given the rising cost of power, I am trying to figure out our cost of ownership.  I have already figured in the astronomical cost of supplies and support, but I suspect it is costing us a bundle to power it.

We had one for about 10 years or more.  The power consumption while the
printer was "idle" was insignificant, but there was a trememdous inrush
current on startup to heat the fuser (and to a lesser extent to charge
the coronas).  We had to isolate this circuit from the main room supply
because of the drain caused by the fuser inrush current.  The breakers
are overrated for normal operation; it is cycling up and firing up the
fuser that eats the juice.

Jeff