HP3000-L Archives

May 2001, Week 3

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 09:14:12 -0700
The news reports I have seen did not address the question of how it
happened.  I was under the impression that train locomotives are equipped
with a "dead man" control that brings the train to a halt if no one is
manning the controls.

Train service in the U.S. is quite different from that in the U.K. and
elsewhere in Europe.  There are certain well-traveled routes in the eastern
U.S., such as New York to Boston, where high-speed electric trains are in
use, but in most of the country the great distances and have made train
travel nearly non-existent.  The trains are diesel powered, and very slow.
Many passenger trains have a top speed of about 50 MPH.  The reason given
for these speeds is the condition of the tracks.  The majority of train
traffic is freight, and the tracks are not laid out with speed in mind, and
in many cases are not well maintained.

The most common type of train accident is collisions with automobiles.  Most
of these accidents result in injury only to the occupants of the auto.  We
seem to have fewer accidents with large loss of life than the U.K., but I
suspect that is attributable more to the smaller amount of passenger train
traffic than to better management.