HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 1

Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:31:38 -0600
"BIXBY,MARK (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I'm looking for volunteers interested in testing 6.0 or 6.5 beta patch
> PX1LXC8 which alters the POSIX getenv() function to behave like getenv() on
> HPUX or Linux.

> The current behavior of MPE getenv() returns a pointer to a data buffer
> which may get overlaid by subsequent getenv() calls.  If you call getenv()
> and save these pointers for later use, then call getenv() some more so that
> the buffer gets overlaid, your original saved pointers no longer point to
> the data you expect.

> [snip]

Just to clarify, Mark is referring only to the getenv() function
in the POSIX/iX library.  The version of getenv() in the C/iX
library (contained in [log in to unmask] and XL.PUB.SYS) works differently
and is not being changed.  The version in the C/iX library underwent
a major change in MPE/iX 5.5, as documented in the Communicator for
that release, and has not changed since then.

Walter Murray
Hewlett-Packard
C/iX Library project