HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:03:45 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Darnell
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 10:01 AM
To: 'Martin G Mason'
Subject: RE: HP1000

Wow again.

You mentioned the HP9845 I remember that one!  When I went to work at the
metrology lab of the local rocket factory, we had applications on:

9845 - BASIC system with two tape cart. drives, display, and keyboard all in
one unit.

9825

9826

9807 - the lab was sold about 12 of these as purportedly really good
workstations to communicate with the HP1000 in real time as instrument
controllers and data entry devices.  Too bad it couldn't do any of that!
There was no network support, and the available terminal emulator had a
"lower-level" feature set that couldn't handle block mode correctly.  This
sewing-machine looking product of the HP Corvallis calculator division ran a
single-user variant (varied being a key) of UNIX, and displayed it on an
orange flat-panel screen.

HP85 - Possibly once the worlds best BASIC language instrument controller -
looked like a programmable calculator.  Not very fast, but it did the job!

HP87 - immediate descendant of the HP85

We re-engineered the entire business process and moved everything except
automated test and instrument control to the HP1000.  We should have started
a museum.

Anyone remember the Burroughs 3700?  The half-meg disk drive stood four feet
tall and had four platters.  System would crash every time there was a
lightening storm within 25 miles (Mountain Home AFB.)

-dtd