HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Chris Goodey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Goodey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:29:46 -0700
Didn't mean to cause such excitement - I put one too many
@ signs in the example.

As mentioned in another reply, you had best not mess
with the files in the SYS account unless you
are quite sure what they are for. For the system
to be able to boot in single disc mode (and other reasons)
many files must be contained totally on device 1.

However, many application files end up on the disc
as well, because it is typically configured as device disc.
If these files are just normal user files, they can be moved,
and then you can run VOLUTIL and the CONTIGVOL command
to try and get contiguous disc space for updates, etc.
(this is not really a defragmentation system, but it
sort of serves that purpose. I beleive the command will
even move files from ldev 1 if you use the unrestricted
option of CONTIGVOL, but the manual is not totally clear
on what is really happening.)

If you are in a typical user account, that doesn't much care
where its files are, you could move them with the example,
which has been noted as using an obsolete form of the
command (I go so far back using MPEX in good old MPE V days
that I tend to use obsolete commands.)