HP3000-L Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Kevin Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 23:26:22 -0600
Donna,

The only problem that I see with this is:

Linux has an extremely large following where code released today will be
tested rather severely in a few days time by a very large number of
people.  HP3000 has it's share of followers, but I'm afraid that the
numbers are a little slim to get to the level of testing that goes on
with Linux.  "Well Linux started small", you might say, but then again,
Linux started...from scratch.  We would all have to start by figuring
out what the code in the Kernel is doing, not by aiding in the design of
it.  We already have a stable code base, and it would take people a
while to get up to the level of expertise that they would need in order
to really start changing things.  I'm not saying that "It will not
work", but rather; "it will be a much harder project to start".

If I were to add code to the "kernel", I would much rather have 500,000
people looking over my code than 1,000.  I'm not sure what the
readership of this list is now, but I would image that the largest
percentage of people with enough talent to make modifications are
already on this list.  (of course, each person on this list is worth a
good 10-20 Linux programmers anyway, right?)

Kevin