HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 4

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 20:34:00 +0100
One minor addition to Michael's excellent tips...

>You can do something similar by assigning a 'username = ' parameter
>into the particular share defintion.  What will then happen is that
>when a connection attempt is made by the user, the password that the
>user enters will be tested against the list of users in the 'username'
>parameter (as well as the default user which can become a nuisance at
>times).

You may add "only user = yes" to turn of the check against default user.

> username = USER.MAINT,MGR.MAINT
>The password supplied by the client will be checked against (in this order):
>1.  The default user.
>2.  USER.MAINT
>3.  MGR.MAINT

The "only user = yes" will reduce above sequence to item 2 and 3.
If you only use a single user in "username=" then your setup will be
pretty close to what Bill described about Resource Sharing.

How about a setup similar to...

[bill]
  path = /PC/BILL
  guest ok = no
  write ok = yes
  username = bill.pc
  only user = yes
[michael]
  path = /PC/MICHAEL
  guest ok = no
  write ok = yes
  username = michael.pc
  only user = yes
[lars]
  ... you get the idea ...

You'd create the PC account and one user for each share, and
assign the desired share password to the respective user in the
PC account. You could use HOME group and GL capabilities at the
user and group level, to isolate the access in case the users
also can logon via HELLO.

It might also be a good idea to not share the MPE groups but some
HFS subdirectory, because filenames inside an MPE group cannot be
longer than 16 characters (which might result in unexpected error
messages on the PC side, eg when creating "New Text Document.txt")

Well, to make above share definitions easier, you could also use
the [homes] template and access the MPE groups (or some selected HFS
subdirectory relative to %H) via \\your3k\bill.pc, \\your3k\michael.pc
and \\your3k\lars.pc -- without even having to setup explicit [bill],
[michael], and [lars] sections.

Lars.

PS.. Regarding migrating of files from Resource Sharing to Samba,
there is some "unsupported" command file somewhere (based on the
DISCMGR tool, as far as I recall). You might want to check out the
www.sambaix.com web site or your local HP RC.