HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 4

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 20:47:15 -0700
At 02:06 PM 12/15/99 , Jodok Schaeffler wrote:
>I have cartridges which are written with tar format (SGI Irix 5.3).
>Is there a way to read this data under Windows98?
>The DAT is a HP C1533A DDS2 drive, a driver for Windows98 is installed.

There are multiple inexpensive or cheap tools to read tar format archive
*files* under Windows, the most commonly available perhaps being
WinZip.  However, under DOS/Windows/NT environments there is no simple way
with readily available and free or very inexpensive tools to read that
archive from a tape, either directly from some tool like WinZip or
indirectly by copying it from tape to disk first.

There are probably others, but one I know about (but have never used) is
NovaTAR from NovaStor Corporation. (I have used their NovaBack product
which is how I happened to discover NovaTAR.  The following is excerpted
from their web site at: http://interchange.novastor.com/datasheets/di_tar.html

>NovaTAR
>Data Interchange for TAR/CPIO Tape Formats
>
>NovaTAR is a software application that allows users to easily move files
>between PCs and any Unix machines (SUN, RS/6000, SCO, SGI etc.), using
>UNIX TAR or CPIO data formats as the standard. Database files, graphic
>files, text files, and more can be transferred between operating systems.
>NovaTar can be run from the command line using TAR commands or from a
>menu, giving users a great deal of flexibility.

>Product Description NovaTAR Move files between PCs and any Unix machines.
>Our Price $695.00

If you happen to find a free or relatively free (under $100) solution for
reading and/or writing tar format tapes on a SCSI tape drive under Windows
(NT or 9x or 2K) or DOS, I'd love to hear about it.  :)
--
Jeff Woods