HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 4

From:
Tom Hula <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:20:26 -0500
Jim Phillips wrote:

> God listened very patiently and kindly to the man and after the scientist
> was done talking, God said, "Very well, how about this:  Let's say we have a
> 'man-making' contest."
>
> The scientist said, "Sure, no problem.", bent down, and scooped up a handful
> of dirt.
>
> God just looked at him and said, "No, no, no.  You go and get your own
> dirt!"

Reminds me a bit of Lord of the Rings ... the big bad guy Sauron or his earlier
master
Morgoth wanted to be God, but their biggest problem was ... all they had to work

with was what God had already created.  So they created the race of orcs, for
instance,
by degrading some elves.  And that is the pattern throughout the book with
various
fell races.  Would be the same for us, as we go about "improving" things around
us and
ourselves genetically.  Eventually, we will discover that things were best left
as they were.

--

        Tom Hula
        Victor S. Barnes Company