HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 08:34:18 -0800
Noam Koren wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I got a lot of ideas for knowing when job starts and ends.
> Thanks for time and effort.
> Unfortunately, not answering my specific need, which is very rigid -
> I can't get into job logic, neither change it.
> the idea of getting a message from the system came from other OS - IBM's
> AS400 where the Job Queue sends a message queue to whoever wants when job
> ends.
>
> I assume there isn't something a like in the HP3000.
>
> Noam.

Once upon a time on an MPE/V machine that no longer exists, I had a similar
need and found a solution by patching the code in SL.PUB.SYS that printed the
"job flushed" message to the job's $STDLIST to also send a similar message to
the console.

No job modifications were required :-), but patching HP's code yourself
increases your maintenance complexity when doing OS upgrades or official HP
patching  :-(.

Before anybody asks, I never carried this patch forward to MPE/iX.  For all I
know, that code could still be CM in SL.PUB.SYS.

- Mark "don't try this at home" Bixby