HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 4

From:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:18:50 +0000
I have recently discovered a small y2k glitch with Powerhouse although
it is more of a programming style problem. Yes, it should have been
caught before this and possibly other people are well aware of it but it
got me so I thought I would share it just in case. It probably applies
mostly to countries outside the US using the dd/mm/yy system and it
occurs when using the SYSDATE assigned to a numeric or DATE field which
is then translated into an ascii variable and the month, day and year
sections split out. The problem occurs if the ascii function is used
without specifying the ,6 parameter to ensure that 6 characters are used
in the character variable (e.g. zerofilled). For values such as "991230"
etc. the value is not a problem. But for "000101" or dates after that
point, the numeric value gets reduced to "101", e.g. no leading zeroes
and the result is that the date manipulation function ends up with
nonsensical values. This came to light because of a screen which
constructed a jobstream and then used the STREAM command with a DATE=
parameter. As I said, as long as the character variable is zerofilled,
the problem does not occur.

Cheers,

John Dunlop

E-mail : [log in to unmask]            "If at first you don't succeed...
Web : http://www.hp3000links.com       Don't take up sky-diving !"
"All your HP3000 resources on the Net"
Mirror: http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~jdunlop