HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:40:26 EST
Tom writes:

> A quote from my Millennium Countdown calendar, yesterday's entry, says
"Time
> Again - Researchers at the Royal Greenwich Observatory in Cambridge,
England,
> say the new millennium starts January 1, 2001, not 2000.  But consider this
> about them: The observatory is no longer in Greenwich and it's no longer
the
> world's timekeeper.  Coordinated universal time is now measured by some 150
> atomic clocks around the world, replacing what used to be Greenwich mean
time
> as the standard."

Personally, I take my standards regarding when the millennium starts from the
Mars Candy Company (http://www.mars.com) -- although it took me a long time
to figure out what they meant when they kept saying that M&M's were the
"official" candy of the millennium.

The secret is right there in the word, "millennium", literally meaning
thousand years in Latin (mille + annum). The symbol for a thousand in Latin
is "M", and the year 1000, one thousand years ago, was marked as "M", thus
the little "MM" that's written on every M&M's piece can (and should be) quite
readily be interpreted as 2000.

I consider that sufficiently good enough evidence for anyone.

Wirt Atmar