HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 3

From:
John Saylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Saylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 18:08:10 -0800
There has been much talk by all the IS staffs on both 3000-L, MACS, MANMAN
and MKGROUP regarding the upcoming Year 2000 date.

I would like to take this time to address many of the over 700 Quest
Software customers running NetBase Shadowing. I thought I would take a
minute to discuss a possible failover scenario here in the mist of the Y2K
for these customers. A production system quietly humming along headed toward
the December 31st date rollover can be protected in the event of an outage
or major Y2K application or data glitch. By replicating the data over to the
second system, NetBase Shadowing does not care about the system timestamps
of say a system on the East Coast and one on the West Coast, two different
time zones and dates on December 31st! It handles this all just fine today.

So, what happens if the East Coast production system has a serious problem
with an application or data corruption at this time. The target HP3000
located on the West Coast has not approached this time period yet. In this
scenario you would have approximately a three(3) hour warning. But what's to
keep you from setting the system clock date on the second system to say
October 31, 1999. This gives you another 60 days of comfort. You can queue
the inbound transactions from the East Coast system until you fill
comfortable posting them to your West Coast DRP/Reporting system. At that
time you can simply bounce your system and return the date to Y2K and apply
your transactions safely. This will insure that the second system on the
West Coast is available to run your business and completely removed from
this event if this pending disaster actually becomes a reality!

John Saylor
U.S. MPE Sales Manager
Quest Software, Inc.
"Ensuring Application and Information Availability"

Main        (949) 720-1434
Toll Free   (800) 306-9329 x8422
Direct      (949) 754-8422
Fax         (949) 754-8999