HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 3

From:
Noel Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noel Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:08:41 -0500
Donna Garverick wrote:

> i don't want to put words into ceceil's mouth...but i think the real question is
> how to capture the console messages in real time.  yes, we all(?) know about
> different ways to get to the logged information thru various tools.  the problem
> (i think) is many sites (usually high-end, big machines) need to know *right
> now* what's happening on their systems.  afaik, there is no solution short of
> crafting a y-cable for the console.  half the cable connects to the console, the
> other half goes to....something (maybe a pc?).
>
> (don sysman hat)
> i asked hp at hp world to tie system logging into syslog.  syslog was designed
> to report system logging in real time.  afaik, hp has not responded to the
> request.  i'm not committed to having syslog being the reporting mechanism but
> (gee) it's there, it's available, millions of unix systems are proving that it
> works.

Donna, not necessarily so.  In an other age - MPE/5 time, I wrote a
program that
accessed the log file and reported console activity.  It kept track of
what
had already been reported (where it ended in the log file) and the
output
could be directed to a particular session. From a stream file the
reporting
could be adjusted to report every X seconds.  I am sure the same thing
could be done in MPE/iX.  Not strictly "real" time, but how real does
one
need the information?

Nick D.