HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 3

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 21:57:07 -0700
At 12:15 PM 12/16/99 , Paul H Christidis wrote:
>For the last few weeks one of our DDS2 drives has been giving us
>problems.  Our

[snip]

>The CE brought a SECOND drive and I went through the same test with the same
>result.  I just repeated the test using a THIRD drive that the CE provided,
>again with the same results.  I also repeated the test using TurboStore,
>in the
>event that RoadRunner was the culprit, and again the same results.

I used to be a huge fan of DDS technology; small, inexpensive, easy to use,
upward-compatible; a lot like some of the best features of MPE.  But after
hearing so many people report repeated failures with drives, including the
immediate failure of replacement drives (and I'm not sure it ever really
made sense to install refurbished DDS drives when one fails) and then my
personal DDS-2 drive dying a slow death and the ridiculously short
duty-cycles supported by all the DDS drives these days, I decided that
there's only one truly feasible solution today:  DLT.

Pick a DLT drive that's appropriate in capacity and performance for your
system(s) and make the switch.  You won't regret it.  Of course, if your
DDS drive is working well for you, that's great too.  But when it begins to
fail often enough to be a major hassle, remember...  "DLT is your friend."  :)

For what it's worth, I'm thrilled with the desktop DLT4000 I use.  But for
bigger systems, I was quite impressed with the DLT libraries from ODI I
looked at a few years back.  They showed to be engineering that reminded me
of the days when HP built most all the peripherals on a 3000...  almost
over-engineered for reliability and simplicity.

(Just one man's opinion... and free advice is worth every penny.  :)
--
Jeff Woods