HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:46:55 EST
In a message dated 12/10/99 10:33:43 AM Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Have fun with these links.
>  Bye.

It is only a strong suspicion but I would not open the attached file under
any circumstance -- or anything that comes your way that even vaguely sounds
like this kind of nonsense. It's being reported that there are a raft of new
Microsoft Word/Visual Basic viruses and worms that are scheduled to launch on
or around New Year's.

I've simply made it policy here that no one opens any file that has any form
of extension other than .txt or .jpg, .gif, etc. I know of no way that these
sorts of files can do you any possible harm, but opening an .exe, .vbs, etc.
(or even a .doc) file from someone you don't know is just plain foolish
nowadays.

Wirt Atmar