HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 2

From:
Steve Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 20:49:09 -0500
When we last met... I had done an OS upgrade with the last of the reactive Y2K patches for MPE5.5/PP6.
 After the upgrade, I could not resolve FTP addresses.

As it turned out it was not the RESLVCFG file or the HOSTS file, it was that the 3000 could no longer communicate with my DNS server.
I solved the problem my modifying the RESLVCFG file to point at our shadow DNS server.
 No problem.

EXCEPT!!!

I still need to communicate with the DNS server (a job over the weekend reminded me of the fact!!)

Here's what happens. I cannot PING the DNS server from the HP - the IP of the HP is nnn.nnn.3.15, the DNS is nnn.nnn.1.4, the shadow DNS servers are 3.17 and 3.19.
 We did not make any changes to the network over the same weekend as I did the OS upgrade.

The DNS server is in the DMZ, while the 3000 and the two shadows are on the secure side of the firewall.
And the same side of the router.

Is anyone aware of any problems with the 3000 and firewall issues?

My plan for tomorrow is this:
- I have a test 917 in my office upon which I did the OS upgrade a week before the production 3000 (987)
- I will try ot PING the DNS server from the 917
- if it fails I reboot the 917 and do an UPGRADE from an old SLT
- I will try to PING the DNS server again from the 917

That should answer if it is an MPE problem.

Any other ideas would be appreciated, since the bosses at my place think the 3000 is a piece of crap (Unix-snobs) and this only makes me look bad

thx
steve