HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 2

From:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:01:56 -0800
> I've simply made it policy here that no one opens any file
> that has any form
> of extension other than .txt or .jpg, .gif, etc. I know of no
> way that these
> sorts of files can do you any possible harm, but opening an
> .exe, .vbs, etc.
> (or even a .doc) file from someone you don't know is just
> plain foolish
> nowadays.

An addition to the "safe" list: if you want to send a Word document to
someone, save it in .RTF format. You'll keep essentially all of the
formatting information, so it will still be "pretty", but will also be
incapable of transporting macro viri.

Steve Dirickson   WestWin Consulting
[log in to unmask]   (360) 598-6111