HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 2

From:
"James Clark,Florida" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Clark,Florida
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:35:10 -0500
The art of tuning is to understand not only the application but the platform
on which it runs. First optimize you blocks to use as much of the data as
possible. The Image manual has a section devoted to this. Something about
record size, bit area for number of records and the like. Once you have
packed as efficiently as possible the records, then it is on to the
hardware. To keep things simple I/O is done in 4096 byte blocks. So find a
multiple of your blocking factor which will effectively use this. Of course
some people just use the defaults, others max it out. Depending upon you
needs and dispersion of data within the table is the method you use. It goes
against logic to create a max block which would allow for 40 records, and
only read 1 record. But there is hope. If the system always reads 4096 bytes
then who cares what logic says. I has been my experience that if you are
reading 4096 bytes and 40960 bytes, even though it is 10 times more data, it
makes little difference to the I/O system. Again, if your are reading 1000's
of records strewn all over the disc, reading 40960 when you only need 40
will begin to tell on the I/O system. Then it is better to look into
grouping the data better. It is the finding the data that is the time killer
here. Once found get as much NEEDED information as possible, and you will be
surprised what that little tuning can do for your app.

James