HP3000-L Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
GREG CHAPLIN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
GREG CHAPLIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 12:33:21 +1000
/begin rant

If there's one thing that REALLY annoys me is other people forcing their
beliefs on me, telling me that I'm stupid for believing in anything different to
theirs. If people want to believe in "life after death", fine. If others want to
believe in reincarnation, that's also fine. If I want to believe that I'm immortal,
that's my problem. If you want to believe in a god, that's your choice. If I don't
want to believe in a god, that's my choice.

The main thing is that it MUST not adversely impact anyone's freedom. You
people that tell me that I must believe in God and that I'm doomed to eternal
damnation if I don't are denying me my freedom to choose.

Tom Hula made an excellent point about how science & religion can co-
exist. This whole debate between the blinkered extremists (on both sides) of
science versus religion is essentially meaningless - science can be used to
explain the explicable, and religion can explain the bigger questions that
cannot otherwise be explained.

Just stop forcing your religious beliefs on me!

/end rant

Sorry, but I did take a few deep breaths first!